Rethymnon during the Venetian occupation hosted a large number of churches, the number varying according to sources, from 23 to 46. Most temples were Christian Orthodox, few of them are preserved today, and many were turned to mosques during the Ottoman era. The oldest surviving Christian temples are Agia Paraskevi, which today houses the Institute of Mediterranean Studies of the Foundation of Technology and Research, and Agia Sophia, used by the Ministry of Culture.
The Archaeological Museum of Rethymnon is temporarily hosted in the basilica of Agios Fragiskos (St Francis) in the old town of Rethymnon. It hosts exhibits from various excavations around the prefecture of Rethymnon which represent all periods from the Neolithic Age to the Roman period.
The convent of Jesus Christ (Christ the Savior) is built on the hill of Timios Stavros, in the west suburb of Rethymnon called Koumbes. The monastery was probably initially founded during the Venetian period, like several monasteries and temples in the region.
The Great Temple of the Four Martyrs is located south of the walls of the old town of Rethymnon and close to the Venetian gate Guora Porta. It is dedicated to the neo-martyrs Angelis, Manuel, Georgios and Nikolaos Retzepis from Melambes, who were killed near the spot in 1824. T
The church of Saint Barbara is located near the tempe Megali Panagia in Rethymnon and celebrates on December 4th. The church was founded in 1885 on the site of an older temple, probably dedicated to the same saint, which appears on maps of 1613.
The mosque of Ibrahim Khan is located almost in the center of the imposing fort Fortezza in Rethymnon. The building was built in 1583, during the Venetian occupation, and functioned as a Christian church dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
The small church of Saint Catherine (Agia Ekaterini) is a modern church located in the fort of Fortezza in Rethymnon. It was built in the 19th century with materials from the fortress very close to the site of the Ibrahim Khan Mosque. The belfry was added in 1985.
The church of Saint George of Grotta is a small one-storey church that stands in a narrow street in the old town of Rethymnon and dates back to the 16th century. The identification of the present church with the homonymous temple of the Venetian archives is not certain, as there were three churches dedicated to Saint George in the city.
On the west side of the imposing fort of Fortetsa in Rethymnon and above the sea we meet the cavernous church of Agios Spyridon (celebrates on 11 August and 12 December). The church dates back to the late 16th century and is one of the oldest surviving temples in the city of Rethymnon.