The convent of Jesus Christ (Christ the Savior) is built on the hill of Timios Stavros, in the west suburb of Rethymnon called Koumbes. The monastery was probably initially founded during the Venetian period, like several monasteries and temples in the region.
It is believed that the monastery originally housed the convent of Our Lady of Erimitiani, as shown by a Renaissance painting of the 17th century. However, during the occupation of Rethymnon by the Turks (1645), the monastery was destroyed and reopened only in 1935.
The church of the monastery has two aisles dedicated to the Transfiguration and St. John the Baptist. The paintings and the icons of the church are work of the nuns. Moreover, here is also a small museum and a library with books and memorabilia of bishop Titos Sylligardakis.
- 17th century: The monastery of Panagia Erimitiani operates at the site of the current monastery of Christ the Savior.
- 1646: Panagia Erimitiani is destroyed by the Turks during the occupation of Rethymnon.
- 1935: The painter Nestoras Vassalos settles in the monastery. The monastery reoperates, now dedicated to Jesus Christ.