At the corner of streets Koroneou and Smyrnis in Rethymnon city was the church of Hagia Sophia, probably a 16th-century building. It was a two-storey church with a united interior space covered by two sturdy domes, used today by the Greek Ministry of Culture.
The way the temple was built (dry application of carved roofs to the domes) reveals the building abilities of the workshop that built the temple and the importance of the temple itself. Around 1670 the church was converted into a mosque by Giachia Ibrahim.
An 8m high wooden minaret was added, which was destroyed in the late 19th century. According to the Ottoman culture, for the needs of the believers of the mosque a fountain was built next to the mosque which connects it with Smyrnis Street.