The lighthouse of the Venetian harbor of Rethymno is the second largest remaining Egyptian lighthouse in Crete, after the lighthouse of Chania harbor. It is built on the edge of the old harbour of Rethymnon and it can be accessed very easily.
The lighthouse we see today was built during the Egyptian Occupation of Crete in the decade of 1830, when the Turks handed Crete to the Egyptians. Possibly there was an older Venetian lighthouse at the site, just like Chania harbor.
In 1864, the lighthouse came under the supervision of the French Lighthouse Company and today it’s not operating. The overall height of the lighthouse tower is 9 meters.