The Mosque of Kara Musa Pasha in Rethymnon was named after the admiral of the Turkish occupation forces of Rethymnon in the year 1646. The monastery of Saint Barbara was operating there from the Venetian occupation, from which nothing survives. The mosque belongs to the Ottoman architectural type of cesme, with a four-sided vaulted tank and two main facades.
A little further from the main building of the mosque there is the minaret, while in the courtyard we find the fountain that served both the water needs and the Muslim worshippers who must be washed before entering the temple. There are also tombstones and a tourbe (a vaulted grave) in the courtyard, where the mosque's founder might have been buried.