The province of Pediada hosts one of the most important religious parks in Crete, with numerous painted temples and deserted monasteries scattered all around. Prominent in number and aesthetic value of monuments is the area around today's Episkopi, which was the seat of the Diocese as its name reveals.
The temple of Panagia Faneromeni at Episkopi (Province Pediada) is a doubled-aisled vaulted basilica with the south aisle dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary and the north to All Saints. It was the main temple of the village, after the destruction of the episcopical (diocese) temple of Megali Panagia (Episkopi means Diocese in Greek and the village was a seat of the local diocese).
North of the village Kounavi we meet the church of St. John the Baptist. The church bears frescoes of the 14th century.
East of Malia, at position Loutres, there is the church of Saint George. The church is built on the site of a former church of the 9th century and dates back to Venetian period (13th century). Its interior bears frescoes, among them Saint George on his horse and various saints. On the walls we can discern engravings of the Medieval traveller (dates 1594,1613,1614 and 1616).
At the center of Kounavi village stands the scenic three-aisled church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, Archangel Michael and St. Haralambos, the patron saint of the village. The temple has three semicircular arches and an arcosolium of the 16th century. Also samples of frescoes survive.
At the village Kounavi there is a three aisled Byzantine church dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ, Saint Nicholas and Saint Demetrius, which is the main church of the village. This temple is unique as it has five domes, one large in the center and four smaller around it. According to tradition it was built by five unmarried sisters.
The church of St. Basil was built in 1840, having nested the single-nave chapel of the 14th century in the sanctuary. The chapel was fully painted. The triumphal arch depicts the “Holy Shroud” and the “Annunciation”. On the east side of the arch, inside the sanctuary, there is the “Ascension of Jesus” along with 4 Angels and 6 Apostles.
It is located on the west bank of the river Aposelemis, on the slopes opposite Potamies village and very close to it. The western side of the temple is a natural rock on the rest of the structure has been attached. From the point of the temple which is surrounded by luh vegetation the views to the valley of Aposelemis and Potamies is amazing.
Half a kilometer away from the small hamlet Liliano, very close to the airport of Kastelli, lies another treasure of Cretan innerland. This is the cemeterial church of Agios Ioannis Rigologos celebrating on August 29.