East of Malia, at position Loutres, there is the church of Saint George. The church is built on the site of a former church of the 9th century and dates back to Venetian period (13th century). Its interior bears frescoes, among them Saint George on his horse and various saints. On the walls we can discern engravings of the Medieval traveller (dates 1594,1613,1614 and 1616).
The altar is based on an ancient pillar capital, which probably comes from the nearby early Christian Basilica at Livadi.