The religious tradition at the province of Kissamos, at the westermost part of Crete, is still deeply ingrained in the daily habits of its inhabitants. Dozens of countryside monasteries and isolated hermitages, deserted today, recount the distant past. The wild and remote peninsulas of Rodopou and Gramvousa hosted many such relegious centers.
The church of Michael Archangel or Astratigos is located in a rural location very close to the village of Kouneni (current official name is Vathi) and belongs to the architectural type of the single-nave arched roofed temple.
The church of Saint George (Agios Georgios) is located in the village Kouneni (current formal name of the village is Vathi) and belongs to the architectural type of the single-nave arched roofed temple. The side antennas are adorned with blind arches, while the semicircular arch has been collapsed and rebuilt.
The church of Saint Athanasius (Agios Athanasios) is located just outside the village Kefali of the area called Nine Villages in Kissamos province. The single-nave arched temple is surrounded by a beautiful piney park and its interior has a reinforcing arch.
The church of Christ the Savior (Sotiras Christos) is located in the cemetery of the village Kefali of the area called Nine Villages in Kissamos Province and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior (celebr. August 6th). The single-nave arch-roofed temple has been externally altered by recent interventions, but internally it preserves its rich wall paintings that date back from 1320.
The church of Saint George (Agios Georgios) Vagionitis is located in the settlement Kastri in Viannos province, above the spring Flega and just below the dry Piskopi Pidima waterfall. It has always been one of the most important pilgrimages of the area.