The very old monastery of St. George was built in the 9th century but it was abandoned several centuries later, because of the constant raids of pirates. A Byzantine tower was built next to the building complex. It was built by the monks of the monastery so as to control the sea and pirates.
The tower survived during the Venetian era and this is verified by a mark, on a Roman inscription, dating back in 1596. Ruins of the tower still exist today. Eventually, the monks, forced by the constant pirate raids, abandoned the monastery of St. George and founded the Monastery of Saint George (and later Kyra Gonia) near Kolimbari.