A Byzantine tower was built next to the building complex of the Monastery of St. George in Menies, Cape Spatha, very close to Menies beach. It was built by the monks of the monastery so as to control the sea and pirates. On the east side of the monastery, the tower survived during the Venetian era. This is verified by a mark, on a Roman inscription, dating back in 1596.
Ruins of the tower still exist today. Eventually, the monks, forced by the constant pirate raids, abandoned the monastery of St. George and founded the Monastery of Kyra Gonia near Kolimbari.