In the middle of the settlement Loutro we meet the beautiful and spacious temple of Panagia, dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi (Life Giving Spring) celebrating five days after Easter. The courtyard has a large Cretan date palm tree and a well with water.
Panagia hosted the Assembly of the Sfakian rebels on 15 April and 21 May 1821, where the founding of the Chancery of Sfakia was decided. The chancery was the seat of the Revolutionaries and aimed to reinforce the rebels with munitions and establish a hospital. The Chancellery's symbol was Panagia church. The Primary School next to the temple functioned as the headquarters of the Chancellery.