The Minoan palace of Niros is located 15km east of Heraklion, near Vathianos Kambos. It was an almost square two-storey villa covering an area of 1000sq.m. and with 40 rooms, built by the sea.
The mansion was firstly excavated in 1918, when four major sacred bronze axes were found. This fact, combined with the large number of religious objects in manufacturing stage, indicates that the mansion operated as a workshop for a Minoan priest who created religious objects. 700m west of the mansion, archaeologists have detected traces of a small Minoan settlement and a harbor.
The building in Niros flourished in the 16th century BC and was destroyed in the 15th century BC. It had two entrances, paved courtyard, warehouses, workshops, sanctuary, staircases and rooms. The site can be visited upon arrangement with the guard.