The Minoan town of

Kydonia

Ancient Kydonia
(4 votes)

The Minoan Kydonia was built at the current location of the old town of Chania. Kydonia was the third largest town of Minoan Crete. Here developed a thriving craft industry and the town became rich through sea trade, which was favored by its position. Indeed, the ancient writers mention Kydonia as the mother of the Cretan towns.

According to one version, the name comes from Kydon, the mythical son of Minos and the nymph Akakkalida. According to a second, it comes from an old name of Crete (Chthonia).

Most traces have been identified on the Kastelli hill above the old Venetian port. There have also been found plates of Linear A and Linear B. The rest traces, like the palace of Kydonia are located below the modern city of Chania and have not been excavated.

The city continued its course till today, getting elements from all periods of the island. Up to now excavations have revealed Minoan tombs, Mycenaean buildings, small palaces with frescoes, several vases, Roman statues, Hellenistic mosaics, etc.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Prefecture: Chania
  • Type: Ancient City
  • Peak Period: Minoan Era (3000 BC-1200 BC)
  • Accessibility: Bus services

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net