Trikoupi Str & 34 Venizelou Str., Chania
The Chemistry Museum of Chania is a representation of the first Chemical Laboratory of Greece that was founded in Chania and is housed on the 2nd floor of General Chemical Laboratory of Chania. It was founded in 1900 by the Cretan State, by the chemist Dr Ioannis Vamvakas for the supervision of public health. The workshop was destroyed by bombing in 1941. The museum hosts the surviving items of this era.
The studies carried out here led to very important publications, supported the health authorities, malaria was combated and a chemistry book was published in 1913, which was the first of its kind and was for many years very popular to Greek chemists.
This book mentions in detail some cases and studies that were performed, like the control on imported flour from Marseille which was found unsuitable for bread production and were eventually used animal production, studies on camel butter, ostrich fat and a meteorite that fell in Crete .
The Museum of Chemistry can be visited during working hours, while for group visit you need to contact them earlier.