The Roman Catholic Church in Chania (1842) meets in the town centre at Halidon Street 46, the road that leads from 1866 Square down to the Venetian harbour. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was inaugurated on April 25, 1879. It is in continuous operation until today and is the cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Crete, which is also the parish church for the Catholic parish of Chania.
The Capuchin monks arrived in Chania on the orders of Pope Paul V in 1566, led by Father Ignatius IV Aritos, and founded their first monastery in Crete, right where it is today. In a short time, a hospital was opened in the building next to the church, which they named "College". The building of the Monastery of the Capuchin Monks was built in its current form in 1842 and expanded with the addition of an extension in 1860. It was last restored in 1990-1991.
The church serves an international congregation and services are conducted in several languages, including English and Mass booklets are available in a variety of languages including English. All nationalities are made to feel welcome.