The province Apokoronas is dispersed with several painted temples, imposing churches and abandoned countryside monasteries. The most popular monastery, restored lately, is dedicated to Saint George and is located at Karydi.
The Foundation of the Holy Cross "St. Raphael" is an informal small monastery at position Tria Kamarakia, next to the highway of Rethymnon - Chania, which is mostlycharity- oriented. The main temple is a three-aisled basilica dedicated to the Neomartyrs (Raphael, Nicholas and Irene), the Holy Cross and Saint Ephrem.
The Monastery of Saint George in Karydi (in Apokoronas Province) is located about 2km east of Vamos village. The monastery was abandoned for many years but was restored in 1996 and today it is operating normally. The monastery is the unique of Apokoronas province and is the most interesting monument of folk architecture in the prefecture of Chania.
At the wider area of Vamos, at the side of the Venetian village Karydi Kartsomado and within close distance from the monastery of St. George in Karydi, we meet the ruins of the small abandoned monastery of Panagia at Katomeri.
The church of St. Paul, after which the village Agios Pavlos of province Apokoronas is named, by Gavalohori, dates back from the 16th century. It has been restored and the interior does not preserve murals. Outside the temple, a cemetery has been identified which dates back from the 12th century, implying that there was an older temple here. There is a cross in the interior, bearing the date 1886.
The church of Saint John the Forerunner is located just outside the village of Stylos (Apokoronas province) at position Platanakia. It is one-aisled church built in 1898 and celebrating on August 29 (a big fest takes place then). Around the church there are many plane trees which offer shade to visitors and there are benches and tables making the place ideal for picnics.
The restored Byzantine Monastery of St. John the Divine is located next to the huge Roman cisterns of the ancient city of Aptera. It is believed to have been built in the 7th century AD, as a dependency of the Monastery of Patmos island, under the supervision of which it remained till 1964 (when it was abandoned permanently).
The church of St. Nicholas at Kyriakosellia belongs to the most important churches in Crete. Its walls are adorned by frescoes. It is one of the finest samples of Byzantine architecture in the island.
The temple of Saint John Theologian and St Nicholas is built at the entrance of the village of Stylos. This is a complex of three buildings, dating from the 13-15th century and preserving a fragmentary mural decoration of the 13th, 14th and 15th century.