The low ridge that starts from Kavonisi, where the port of Kissamos is located, and extends to the south, separates the plain of Kaliviani from the plain of Kissamos.
At this strategic point, after the great Cretan revolutions of 1866, the Ottomans built a fortified tower (kule) to oversee the sea and the passages west of Kissamos. Koules was blown up by the Cretan revolutionaries in 1897 and has remained in disrepair ever since.
The ruins of Kales, as it is called by the locals, are located today next to olive groves, a few meters west of the church of Saint Myron (Agios Myronas) in position Monastiraki. The visitor can see the base of the koule and admire the beautiful view of the entire bay of Kissamos.