The fort of Liopetro (Castel Leopetro) is located at position Fatsi, near the village Hamezi, Sitia province. It is believed to have been built on the site of a previous fort, of which the tank survives. Liopetro is built on a steep hill with panoramic views to all sides. Atop of it, there is the scenic chapel of Prophet Elijah (Profitis Ilias) and the remains of walls, tanks and other buildings.
In 1579 the Venetian general Giacomo Foscarini proposed the construction of the fortress at Liopetro to the Venetian Senate, so the residents of Sitia could find shelter during a Turkish attack, but his proposal was not adopted. In 1590 and 1595 the demand was restated by Pietro Zane and Scotti and was eventually accepted.
The fort was quite large as it could house 6000 people, but was never used for its original purpose, since the residents were moved to Candia ,when the Ottomans attacked Crete. Its name was originally leon di petra (Lion of Stone), later shortened in Liopetro.