The province of Milopotamos hosted many small monasteries and hermitages. The rugged coastline hosted many ascetic centers, which were later moved to the innerland due to the threat of the pirate raids.
In the neighborhood of Kavalaria in Armi, Anogia, there is the imposing double-aisled church of Saint John the Baptist (Agios Ioannis Prodromos) and Virgin Mary (Panagia). Inside there is an impressive wood-carved iconostasis with relief details.
In the center of the village Axos, province Mylopotamos, next to the centuries-old plane tree and just above the fountain, there is the two-nave ruined temple of Archangel Michael (Astratigos). The temple is built on the ruins of an ancient Christian basilica of ancient Axos.
The church of Saint John the Baptist (Agios Ioannis Prodromos) is located in Axos cemetery, north of the hill of Ancient Axos. It is one of the many Byzantine churches of Axos, which flourished from the Greco-Roman era to the late Byzantine years.
The church of Saint Irene (Agia Irini) in Axos is one of the many Byzantine churches of the village. It is located inside the village and a few meters west of the hill of Ancient Axos, which was one of the strongest cities during the Greco-Roman Period that flourished until the Byzantine period.
The church of Our Lady (Panagia) Faneromeni is located in Agios Ioannis, province Mylopotamo,s and was founded during the reign of Andronikos II Palaeologos (1282-1328). The temple belongs to the type of single-storey with arched roof, which was extended westward in the 16th century.
The church of Panagia Panokastriani is located above Kastri, province Mylopotamos, where the ruined fortress of Pano Kasteli was built. Kastri was the seat and base of the strongest Christian family during the Venetian occupation, Kallergis, whose coats of arms are located in the arch of the sanctuary.
The church of Agios Georgios (Saint George) is located in the most central part of the village Melissourgaki in the province of Mylopotamos. Although externally it has undergone newer interventions mainly in 1902, inside it preserves some of the elements of the Venetian period, when it was built.