The monastery of Saints


Saints Eftyhiani monastery
(3 votes)

The Monastery of the Saints Eftychiani was located at the position Stous Agious on hill Raxos and was dedicated to the local Saints Eftychianos, Eftychios and Kassiani. Near the ruins of the first temple, a new was inaugurated in 2009. In 2011 the monastery restarted its operation as a nunnery.

According to the tradition, the brothers Eftychianos and Eftychios lived here as hermits (probably during the Arab occupation – somewhen between 827 to 961). Their sister Kassiani (Cassia) lived in another cave at Cape Lithino.

Saint Eftychios was Bishop of Gortyn and Archbishop of Crete, but was expelled to Mount Raxos, with his brother Eftychianos. Saint Eftychianos martyred at village Listaros. Even today there is a rock at Listaros where it is said that the mark of the beheading ax is visible. The saints were buried in a cave that today serves as a chapel, being a dependency of Odigitria Monastery. The nearby monastery of Odigitria hosts the relics of the two saints, while the tomb of their sister Kassiani has not been yet found.

The old church, the ruins of which we still see today, was built in the 10th century, probably by Saint John the Hermit, in honor of the saints. The temple was probably destroyed during the siege of Crete by the Ottomans (1645-1669). Today a newer church has been built, while the visitor will see the arcosolium, a Venetian burial monument and the cavernous chapel.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Location: Heraklion Prefecture
  • Type: Church
  • Accessibility: Dirt track

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs