The Koules in Nio Chorio is located in the middle of Apokoronas province, about 25km southeast of Chania and close to the village Nio Chorio. It belongs to the dense network of defensive towers, called koules, built by the Turks after the Great Revolution of 1866 in Crete to control the rebels. On the hill of the fort leads a road starting from Nio Chorio. The fort is not well preserved, with only a few walls standing and commemorating its glorious past.
The building we see today was built by the Turks at the site of a preexisting Venetian tower to control the plane of Kalives, the villages at the slopes of Lefka Ori and the passage from Apokoronas to Keramia. The koule was composed of a central, rectangular building with two semicircular artillery towers on the east and the west side. Another smaller tower was built just on the opposite peak. Water was supplied to both towers by a nearby cistern, in between, which still survives.