The tower of

Voukolies

Voukolies Tower
(2 votes)

Voukolies village is located at the 27th kilometer of the road Chania - Kandanos - Paleochora. It was initially a Turkish village and in 1866 the Turks, in order to consolidate their position, built a strong tower southwest of the village and within half a kilometer from Voukolies. While the newly built tower protected the village against the Cretan Rebels, during the revolution of 1897, 400 Turks were besieged closely by the troops of Timoleon Vassos (6-7 February 1897) till they were forced out at night.

hotels booking Crete

 

Additional Info

  • Prefecture: Chania
  • Type: Fortress / Tower
  • Peak Period: Ottoman Era (1669 - 1898)
  • Accessibility: Paved road
More in this category:

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net