Cretan Forts

Malathyros

Malathyros Fort
(0 votes)

A steep cliff rises above the village of Malathyros, on which the Byzantines built a fortress to control the province of Kissamos. Ascent is possible from Malathyros. The fortress had a double fortification wall reaching a wall width of 2.30 meters and 12 semicircular fortification towers, while traces of cisterns and other buildings survive.

The fortress has not been studied extensively and is generally unknown and forgetted. What is interesting is that, despite its large size, there are no written testimonies about the history of the fort, and its construction is dated to the tenth century. The reason may be that the fortress was abandoned relatively early after its construction, as there was no longer any danger of external enemies and it was tough to access it.

hotels booking Crete

Additional Info

  • Location: Chania Prefecture
  • Type: Fortress / Tower
  • Peak Period: Second Byzantine Era (961 AD - 1204 AD)
  • Accessibility: Walking
More in this category:

Also read:

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs BIGtheme.net