Chania with the excellent cultural tradition host a large number of museums. The most important are the Naval Museum, the Museum of Byzantine Icons, the Archaeological and the Folklore "Cretan House".
The Archaeological Museum of Chania is located next to the Venetian harbor and is housed in the church of the old Venetian monastery of Agios Fragiskos (St Francis) of the Franciscans. The exhibition is divided into two major sections. The eastern section hosts findings from the Neolithic until the Late Minoan period.
At the entrance of the port of Chania is situated the Venetian Fortress Firkas, where on December 1st 1913, the Greek flag has been hoisted, sealing the union of Crete with the motherland Greece.
The Historical Archive of Crete was established in 1920 in Chania and operated informally until 1928, when it was recognized as a public entity. Since 1943, it is a Public Service and operates as an annex to the General State Archives.
Mournies is the birthplace of Eleftherios Venizelos, the most important politician of modern Greece, and you can visit the house that he was born, which today serves as a museum.
Eleftherios Venizelos lived in his paternal house, in Chalepa (Chania), for more than thirty years, from 1880 to 1910, and occasionally, from 1927 to 1935. He was particularly attached to this house. It is the house where he spent his youth, he got married and had his two children, and where his wife died.
The museum has been housed since 1997 in the church of the monastery of San Salvatore, dating probably from the 15th century, next to the bastions on the west side of the Venetian fortifications of Chania.
The Museum of the Greek National Soccer Team is housed in a building of the Municipality of Chania and is the unique museum in Greece for the "official" favorite team of the Greeks. The museum is the result of the action of the Association of Friends of the National Team, Galanolefkos Faros.
The Municipal Art Gallery of Chania is housed in a typical commercial industrial building of neoclassical Greek architecture in the late 19th and early 20th century in Halidon street, on the way to the Venetian harbor of Chania and near the Archaeological Museum.