The Monastery of Santa Maria was built by Marussa Mengano in 1615 for the Dominican nuns of Chania. The Monastery was described by the Venetian Inquisitor G. Perpigano in 1620, who wrote that it had comfortable cells south from the catholic. From the original building complex, today the south and part of the east wall of the catholic are preserved and part of the cells on its south part, at the end of the street "Aghios Markos" in Kasteli.
The interior courtyard of the Monastery is located on the south and east part of the building complex, and the Byzantine wall was used for its fencing. The catholic was a single room with a sharp arch and corners reinforced by carved tesseras.
A small door on the south wall was leading to the "chiostro" where the cells of the monks were located. Nowadays, only a part of the arcade and the cells on the ground and first floor are preserved. Part of the temple and of the monastery was demolished during the 1941 bombings and due to the new urban plan.