The lighthouse at the old harbor of Chania is the most recognizable part of the city, posing at all travel books of Crete. The story of the lighthouse starts a long ago, although its present form dates back since the Egyptian Occupation of Crete (in the early 19th century).
The Venetians, under the threat of the Turks, in the late 16th century, started fortifying all towns throughout Crete. In the period 1595-1601 they made great interventions at the port of Chania. At the center of the breakwater, they built the bastion of St. Nicholas, which together with the fortress of Firkas, could protect the harbor entrance. At that time they also built the lighthouse.
The current lighthouse tower is mounted on a trapezoidal base which holds since the Venetian Era. During the Turkish Occupation, the harbour of Chania and the lighthouse were neglected and abandoned. In 1839, the Egyptians restored the lighthouse as we see today. Today’s tower stands at 21m height and is visible within 7 miles.