82 Theotokopoulou Street
The museum has been housed since 1997 in the church of the monastery of San Salvatore, dating probably from the 15th century, next to the bastions on the west side of the Venetian fortifications of Chania. At the south side we still meet a covered portico (chiostro) that housed the cells of the Franciscan monks. During the Ottoman Era the church was converted into a mosque, the mosque of Aga Khan.
The exhibits come from archaeological findings of the excavation activities of 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities, from private collections and donations. These findings outline the historical and artistic figure of the prefecture of Chania during the Byzantine and post-Byzantine times. The strictly selected objects, due to room shortage, are representative examples of the long historical course of Chania prefecture.
The exhibits of each section are presented in chronological succession, while maps and information tables inform the guests about the origin of the exhibit and the historical context of each era.
Some of the exhibits are the mosaic floor of a basilica of the 6th century, frescoes and icons with an excellent sample of the icon of St. George on horseback painted by Emmanuel Jane (1660-1680 ), the dedicatory inscription of 1623 with Venetian coats of arm, deformed masks, wall parts and other important findings.