The monastery of Panagia Vryomeni is located 4km east of the village Meseleri, in a rough and rocky area. It is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, celebrating on September 8, but the monastery celebrates also on August 15.
It is an inactive large monastery which, until 1992, was abandoned. Then its restoration started. Since then, during the feasts, the restored monk cells host the pilgrims who arrive from the wider area.
The monastery temple is a single-barrel-vaulted church in good condition. The church was built in 1401, and additions were made after 1550. The interior is richly decorated with very old paintings of the 15th century. In addition to the nine representations of the Christological cycle (from Jesus birth to Jesus Ressurrection), there are also representations of Panagia (Virgin Mary).
- 13th century: The church of Panagia is built, but it is not yet known whether a monastery operated then.
- 1401: The monk Myron Kalodrosios and his Sofrosyni, renovate the church of Panagia and build the first cells.
- 1577: The main temple is extended to the west and the monastery reaches its peak.
- Ottoman Era: The monastery becomes a center of revolutionary activity in the area of Ierapetra.
- 1821: It is said that in the monastery takes place the first meeting of the chieftains of East Crete. Once, the Turks learn that, they destroy the monastery and this gets deserted.
- 1903: The monastery and its rich properties become a dependency of the Monastery Faneromeni.
- 1925: The properties of the Monastery are granted to the soldiers of the Asia Minor War and the temple is owned by the parish of Meseleri.
- 1992: The reconstruction of the ruined monastery complex starts.
- 2004: The frescoes of the church of Virgin Mary are cleaned with modern methods.