The mosque was built in the old city (Kato Mera) at the end of the 19th century, when the Turks conquered Ierapetra and modified the church of Agios Ioannis for their religious purposes. It is held to date in a pretty good condition.
It is spacious and has a Muslim inscription from the Koran on the marble lintel of the entrance. Its minaret was repaired around 1953 and dominates the district. Opposite the mosque there is an Muslim fountain, which has also been restored.